Thursday, June 26, 2008

Day 24--Chicago, Il.: Take me out to the ball game

Ahhh, after a good night's sleep we were ready to take on Chicago. Ok, maybe it didn't really happen like that, but we all slept really well--so well, in fact, that I had to wake everyone at 8:30am so we wouldn't miss the FREE buffet breakfast downstairs. It was worth it, though, because it was, by far, the best breakfast bar yet. And who can pass up a FREE breakfast when they offer Fruit Loops, pancakes, and donuts?? Yes, that was Ben's breakfast this morning, so it's no wonder they act the way they do after starting the day off all sugared up like that. It will be nice to be home to be able to control the food intake once again...for all of us!

After breakfast it took me all morning to finish loading up pictures and writing the blog from yesterday. I was so tired last night that I just decided to go to bed instead of writing. I found, though, that I'm not so quick with the words or so sassy when I write in the morning...hmm, maybe that's a good thing. I seem to write better at night, after I've had a day of being challenged, shall we say, by all the boys. And today was definitely no exception!!

We finally got out on the road just after lunch, and come to find out, that was none too soon. We might not have had a couple of boys by the end of the day if we had been out on the town any longer with them! They were a trial off and on all day--does anyone else know what I'm talking about?! Daren and I were talking about it and there is something to be said for driving in the car all day as compared to trying to please and entertain everyone all day long. We were also talking that they are at a good age for road-tripping because they don't really know or appreciate at their young ages all the sights and history, etc. that a visit to Wasington D.C. or somewhere like that offers. There are some fun things here for kids in Chicago though, and with the help of my friend, Leisa Thornton (mom of Bella, Ben's "good" friend at school), who moved to Utah from Chicago two years ago, we have somewhat of a clue what to see and do. Thanks Leisa!

First things first, we left the car parked and took a taxi ride, and for the boys it was a dream come true...their first taxi ride!!


We took the taxi straight to Wrigley Field where we managed to find some tickets to the Cubs v. Baltimore Orioles game. The Cubs are sold out for a couple of months in advance!! We got some sweet seats in between what I'd say is the third baseman and left field, but not even a close chance at a foul ball. It was sweet to finally see Wrigley Field--home of the bricks and ivy. There is a lot of history in that place, and although I'll always be Dodger blue through and through, I can appreciate other teams. We had to go to the game today because it was their last home game; they open up a series with the Chicago White Sox tomorrow, but it's not a home series, so it was our only chance to see Wrigley's. Very cool place.

The place was packed for an afternoon game!

I know this seems a little wierd, but we were in Chicago, at a Chicago Cubs game, eating a Chicago Dog--how cool is that?!

Jake has been keifing (?) Daren's baseball hat all trip, so I figured it was time to get Jake his own hat, and what better one than a Cub's hat from the game?! Ben got a small play bat (what mom in her right mind...?! No fatalities or injuries yet, but the weekend isn't over), and "all I got was this lousy t-shirt."

We took another taxi after we left the game (we only made it to the sixth inning, and the Cubs ended up losing 11-3 or 4 I've heard) and headed out to Navy Pier, the symbolic end of the Route 66 line in Chicago, and had to do a fam shot there. And then we stayed...

This is the old "white house" lighthouse which has been there in the bay just off of Navy Pier for over 100 years.

As Ben and the boys were running around the pier chasing each other with the new bat, another boy joined in to play with them. I love that Ben makes friends so easily wherever he goes. He and this boy played and hung out like they had been friends forever!

The playing didn't last long, though, because soon we had to go on our 1/2 hour boat tour excursion of the Chicago skyline. This is the skyline with Navy Pier in the forefront. Thank goodness it was only 30 minutes (see way above for reason why--something about the kids still being alive after such a hard day)!

We played around for a while on the pier after the boat ride--the boys rode the train and we all rode the ferris wheel and the merry-go-round (and drove the play boats). While we were on the ferris wheel we spotted this Chicago City Fire Boat and I had to get a picture of it. Reminds me of Mother's Day...huh?! Will and Jake had stopped in to the Red Balloon toy store one day just before Mother's Day while waiting for me to pick up Ben from a birthday party around the corner. Daren told them they could pick out something for me for Mother's Day, and they picked out a sweet Playmobil fire boat, which they love to play with in the tub! So that's why I had to smile when I saw this boat!!

And just like that it was time to come back to the hotel after another day. Here's to hoping there is a little less friction tomorrow (we can always hope, right?)! It's going to be another fun filled day, and hopefully the weather will cooperate. Bye!!


Photo 1: We were ready, but no such luck!! Photo 2: Signs on Navy Pier


A classic!!
Total mileage to date: 4,496.5
Weather: hot as heck in the sun at the baseball game, but pleasant otherwise, probably low 80's
Premium gas prices seen around town: $4.69!! Ouch

4 comments:

Alisha Joy said...

i have always wanted to go to Chicago. Never been. My collage roommate was from there and I really wanted to do the ferris bueller tour. I will live vicariously through your blog.

sayfuzzypickles said...

Not weird at all to show the hot dog. The pickles did throw me off a bit though. :o

Grandpa and Grandma Peel said...

Whew--another fun day! There are some great things to see in Chicago, aren't there, and you squeezed in tons in one day. Everyone looks like they're having a great time. More happy trails in the days ahead, sweethearts.

Brandon and Lori said...

Are you tired yet? I think you'd have to leave me in Chicago. Looks fun though, don't kill the kids!