Tuesday, September 30, 2008

random boy thoughts

We finally did it!! We have been working toward and waiting for this day for a long time, and we finally moved all the boys downstairs to their own rooms!! Here are a few before and after pictures of their rooms.
Ben's old room:

Ben's new room:

Twin's old room:

Will's new room:

Jake's new room:


I have to say that both Daren and I were surprised at how well the move went for them. It was a little hard on us, though, because it was just another step in their lives to show that they are growing up. Will and Jake have slept together in the same room since they were born (where they slept in the same crib for a while, until they grew too big and would kick each other), so we didn't know how they would react, but it seems that they have adapted quickly. And yes, the pictures are true--they were still sleeping in their cribs. They all slept in their new rooms for the first time on Sunday night, and they all slept like rocks. Will was so excited about his new bed that he put himself to bed Monday night at 6:30pm--I think he realized what a terrible mattress he had been sleeping on in his crib and how comfy his new mattress was and couldn't wait to get to it!! A few years ago when we were finishing the basement we named the rooms--back then Ben was the only one who could talk, thus he got first dibs on his room, and then chose the other rooms for his brothers. He first picked the room Will is in now, which is the biggest one, but then changed his mind to the room he has now, which is the smallest with the most crazy angles. So Will gets the biggest room with the biggest bed--not bad for the smallest kid in the family!! Each of their rooms have nice walk-in closets, which is what you get when you finish the basement years after you move in your house (it's everything you wish you could have done upstairs!). The house is still a disaster trying to move everything, but it is nice to have them down there...finally!
There are a couple other random things that happened this past week. One night I was "tickling" Ben's back (our daily ritual) when he was in bed. We were talking about something to do with ages, and I told him that he would only be living with us for another 12 years and then he would be gone. His eyes got big as he asked where he would be going. I told him he would be leaving us when he turned 19 to go on a mission and that he would be gone for 2 years. He thought about that for a minute and then asked if people go when they are older. I told him yes, that sometimes grandma's and grandpa's go. He said, "Ok, that's when I'm going to go. I don't want to go when I'm 19 because I don't ever want to leave you." It's words like that that melt a mom's heart and makes her think that she must be doing something right. I had to write it down because I'm pretty sure when the time comes, he may not feel that same way anymore--just a hunch!! Bless his heart!
Since I am on the subject of Ben, I've got one other funny story. A week ago Friday he brought home a note from his music teacher saying that they were going to have a talent day in class the next Friday, (unfortunately it was for students only). Ben was quick to announce that he had signed up to play the Indiana Jones theme on the piano. Only problem is, we don't have a piano and he's never had a lesson in his life!! Fortunately on Thursday, the day before the talent day, he was over at Grandma Train's (Mortenson) house and remembered his song about 5 minutes before he had to be out the door to lacrosse practice! Grandma helped him really quick to kind of figure it out. Ben told her that if he couldn't play it, he could at least sing it for them! Oh how I would have given anything to be there in that room when he apparently played a few notes of the chorus of the song!! I love that he has confidence to try new things, even if he hasn't ever done them before. And he said he did a great job. ;)
Will is doing well at his new preschool. He has the best teacher, Miss Jeri, who is so positive about him. She told us the first time we met her that her motto is "Hakuna Matata," which is from the Lion King and means "no worries." She is so nice and so paitent, even when Will tests her, which happens several times during the class day. I know that this move for him was probably one of the best things we have ever done for him. I think that him being on his own there (away from Jake) is going to help him discover who he really is. Jake has always been very loving toward Will, and I think he (Jake) always felt like he had to look out for him, so now Will is on his own to make his own decisions, and it is hard sometimes, but good.
Jake is also doing well at school. I was at a parent's meeting at school the other night, and I talked to his dance teacher. She actually sought me out to tell me what a great kid he is and how he is so good about listening and helping others. She remembers Will from last year too, and how Jake seemed to always be looking out for Will, and we both came to the conclusion that Will being in his own class was good for him, but it was also a great move for Jake. Now that Jake doesn't have to "look out" for Will anymore, he is free to do what he wants to do. I had never thought about that before, but it's true. Oh these kids; they may be challenging but you gotta love 'em!!

6 comments:

Maryanne said...

I love their new rooms! I bet that makes you feel a little bit of freedom to have them all downstairs. I am debating on when to move Adam down with Matthew. I really want his room for a home office, but I'm not quite sure if he's ready yet (actually I think it's me who's not ready!).

Grandpa and Grandma Peel said...

Thankfully it's too soon to worry about boys sneaking out of bedroom windows at night, or, maybe you've got boys who will never think of it...yeah, right! Love the little story of Ben--so precious. We love you sweethearts!

Callisto said...

What a sweet story about Ben. Geez, don't I know that feeling!

Julie V. said...

The rooms look great. They are growing up aren't they? Are you going to have a scrapbook room now? I'm so glad Will is doing so well in his new school. Little boys are so sweet, and Ben's leaving home story is proof of it.

Brett & Honnelore said...

I can't believe they are all downstairs. It must be nice to have some peace and quiet. I'm hoping for some someday. I can't believe the boys are that old. It all seems like yesterday they were tiny little babies.

RCA said...

https://www.cekaja.com/asuransi-kendaraan