Wednesday, May 20, 2009

wanna-be-runaways

Ben has been into this thing lately where if he doesn't get his way, he threatens us that he will run away. The other day he left us this note on our bedroom door, and left similar notes on Jake and Will's doors. Then he packed up a few things.
Funny thing is, last night when Ben and I were talking, I was asking him what he was so mad about that he was going to leave for, and neither one of us could remember. The only thing I remember him saying, as he was calming down that day and starting to get his senses about him, "Well, I'm not sure when I'm going to leave. It will either be tomorrow or when I'm 18 or 19 years old. Probably when I'm 18 or 19." Needless to say, he still resides under our roof! He pulled this on me again on Monday night. Once again he was threatening to move out, this time with both his brothers. Ben started packing, while Jake grabbed all his favorite PS3 games. He reluctantly put them back when I explained that over at the park (where they were going to go live) there isn't even a TV, let alone a PS3. It all seemed fun to them until Jake realized what moving out was going to mean--leaving home!! Poor Jake was in tears and his little lower lip was trembling as he said he didn't want to leave anymore. (perhaps it was wanting to play his games that kept him here!!)
A few minutes later, this note showed up for me...from the President. Ben really wanted to know what it said, so I told him if he brushed his teeth and put his p.j.'s on, then I would tell him when he was in his bed. After I told him, Ben said he didn't want to leave anymore, but what could he do--after all this letter was from THE PRESIDENT! I told him that the president wasn't the mom of this family and that he didn't have to go. He was relieved! ;) Ben and I are a lot alike when it comes to "heated discussions." We can both argue to the death, and then once it's over, it's over and life goes on, never holding a grudge. I've always been like that, and it's funny to see that Ben is like that too.

"Mommy's office"

Seriously, how could this have gotten so out of control so quickly?!! This is my next job to tackle--cleaning up my office. It absolutely drives me crazy to walk in here, but because it's the first room after you come through the laundry room, everything gets dumped in here, i.e. lacrosse bag & gear, etc. I hope to have it more orgainized...soon!


Jake made this picture for me a while ago, but it's so cute I had to include it. It's from the book, "The Ugly Pumpkin," which has been a favorite around here for years. "I am the ugly pumpkin, I shouted to the sky, and then it started raining, so I began to cry." Not a bad interpretation I must say!!

5 comments:

Callisto said...

Luckily for my mom, I only ran away from home once. I packed up a few things (I didn't forget my toothpaste and toothbrush!) and tied them up in a blanket. I think I got to the end of the street before I realized that I wouldn't be eating much if I left. ;)

Alisha Joy said...

LOVE IT!! And River has done this a few times too. It must be the age. River actually moved out (to the front lawn) . . . Diesel was in tears and I lured him back in with brownies. Sheesh!! Not looking forward to Diesel moving out too!!

Grandpa and Grandma Peel said...

Some of the many joys of parenting. And you're doing it splendidly. Love you!

sayfuzzypickles said...

Hahahah, that is so funny! What a character Ben is. I ran away once when I was about 5. My mom took a picture of me in the act. I think I made it as far as the end of the driveway.
I'm glad Jake figured out what the implications of living in the park would be.

Maryanne said...

LOL!!! I have tears running down my face! Those boys are hilarious. And a letter from the President.....wow, he has great handwriting ;o)
I'm so glad they decided to stay living at home. Adam would be sad without his mates!