Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Ben and Bella sittin' in a tree...

We've had some funny sayings around here the past few days:

Today was the day Ben had been looking forward to all summer long--he finally got to see Bella, his girl-friend since they were in the same kindergarten class. We met up with her mom, Lise, and her sister, Tilly, for lunch at Thanksgiving Point. When Ben and Bella spotted each other across the way, they ran to each other and she jumped into his arms as he swung her around. They were screaming they were so excited to see each other again--um, should we be worried?! Lise told me she had a talk with Bella this morning about kissing; the whole thing makes us smile. After lunch we went to a nearby park so the kids could play. They found almost every piece of junk that was around the playground and called them their treasures. Too soon their time was over, but school will be starting in a couple of weeks and they can resume their friendship. It wasn't until a few hours and a few errands later that Ben finally fessed up:
Ben: "Um, Mom--guess what happened with Bella today" (sheepish grin)
me: "You kissed!"
Ben: (incredulous look) "How did you know?!"
me: "I could tell by your smile"
Ben: "We kissed two times--one on the cheek and a quick one on the lips. Maybe someday we might smack kiss."
me: "Smack kiss...what's that??"
Ben: "It's when two people smack their lips together."
By this point I had to work hard not to drive the car off the road because I was trying not to laugh outloud. For further clarification, he later explained that they only did a soft kiss, but a smack kiss is a hard quick one where their lips smack after the kiss. Ahh, young love!
Jake also had a winner line the other night. We were having dinner at Brett and Honnelore's house (better known as Sydney's house around here), with some other members of Daren's family there too. Jake was eating his dinner at a separate kids table when Susan said to him across the way, "Jake, I need to apologize..." and was quickly cut off from whatever she was going to apologize for by Jake replying, "Apology not accepted!" We all burst out laughing at such a comment from a four-year old, and found out that is a line from none other than Spiderwick Chronicles!
And not to leave Will out, he is walking a thin line with our nerves here at home. He is the biggest tv junkie, and wants to always be watching anything. Whenever I turn off the tv, he immediately will look for the closest door to escape out of and heads down the street to Danielle's house. They keep their front door unlocked, and he hasn't learned the courteous act of knocking before entering, so he goes right in, sneaks up on whoever he can find, and scares them!! They get a kick out of him down there, but it has gotten so out of hand the past few days that he is driving all of us crazy. Jeanna makes him call me when he gets there, because she knows 99% of the time I don't know where he is. Although that's not entirely true because if I can't ever find him I always know where he is. What do you do with such a cute runaway?!!
p.s. Saw Mama Mia for the second time with friends I was at girl's camp with, and I laughed even harder this time. Love it!

4 comments:

Grandpa and Grandma Peel said...

Young love is sooo cute! I don't want to scare you, but Darren has loved Heather since he was 6 years old!!

Brandon and Lori said...

HAHAHAHA! I think that's funny. I don't know if I have ever had a smack kiss before. Maybe Ben will have to give Brandon some tips. Girls camp looked like lots of fun. And I too will be seeing Mama Mia for a second time with some friends.

Alisha Joy said...

Holly Shmoley!!! I am DYING!!!!!

Brett & Honnelore said...

Well at least Ben knows what he wants. I guess the sooner the better and that way he can stay focused. That cracks me up about Will. I bet you can't wait for school to start.