Tuesday, August 26, 2008

checkups and a mountain picnic

We all had dentist appointments this week, but for the twins it was their first real checkup.


As you can see, they didn't seem bothered a bit by it!! It turned out that Jake was the first one of the boys to get a cavity. (He has already had it filled now, and he was very brave!!) The boys all did so well considering we were at the dentist office for 2-1/2 hours, so we stopped by Paradise Bakery on the way home to get some cookies--you can go ahead and nominate me for Mother of the Year!! Some role model I am. :)


On Sunday I had to give a talk in church on the Young Women's program/Girl's Camp. I began by saying how it would have been much easier to do a slide show with all my pictures, but I'm not so sure about that now. Megan, our camp director, was so nice to help me put a DVD together of a few of our over 1,000 pictures (once we got everyone's pictures together--seriously!). Monday I spent all afternoon over at her house just deciding on the pictures, and then I went back later that night to do the rest of it and ended up staying there until 1:30am! As soon as she shows me how to put it on my blog, I'll do it. We showed it to the girl's last night and they loved it!

Later that day we decided to go to the mountains for a picnic, so we loaded up and off we went up to Alta. We hiked for a while on Catherine Pass Trail, and somehow Will manages to always find fun, even in the most simple ways. He has always had a mind of his own and a pretty good imagination, so when we happened on this small stream he reached for a long stick and said, "ummm Mom...this is my fishing stick." He dabbles it in the water and thinks he is fishing--life's simple pleasures! We ate our picnic along the way and then hiked some more. It was a beautiful evening and it was fun to walk on and see some of the trails we like to ski in the winter.

When we finally reached our turn-around point (Daren tells me it was only about a mile in that we hiked, but it sure seemed longer than that!), we stopped for our treat, Chips Ahoy. Ben wanted me to take this picture and he said, "Mom, you can put this picture on your blog and name it 'Cookies Galore!'" So here is Cookies Galore and a photo of three dirty boys, although this picture doesn't even do it justice. Will would walk along, pick up handfuls of dirt and throw it around--they were all filthy, but having fun.

Three cute boys!! (Will is carrying a bunch of little "fishing sticks" rolled up in his shirt)
By the time we got back to the bottom of our trail, Will was completely pooped out...and that's all I have to say about that!

We made it home and got all the boys into bed. When I went in to check on Jake a bit later, he was sleeping like this, and it reminded me of this other picture I had of him sleeping as a baby. He has always slept like this, with his hands behind his head, and I think it is the cutest thing. He is almost 4 months old in this other picture. And that's about the extent of it this week for us. School starts next week finally!! I think they are more than ready to get back into it--we all are!


5 comments:

Beal Family said...

Heather! You are sooo cute! That was so fun making the video! I love that you bought your kids cookies after the dentists. You are my kind of woman!

Callisto said...

That picture of Jake as a baby sure reminds me of when I used to babysit your guys. We always had a ton of fun!

Grandpa and Grandma Peel said...

What a great way to end the summer (the hike, not the dentist)! Boys, you gotta love 'em: the dirtier they are, the happier they are. Love you!

Alisha Joy said...

Diesel MELTED down at his first real dentist appointment. What was your tick to get it all to go so smoothly?

Julie V. said...

I love those pictures of Jake sleeping. How sweet is that!?