Thursday, October 9, 2008

a bountiful harvest

I love, love, LOVE the changing of seasons, and I love falls in Utah. It is also a busy time of year with everything there is to do, but it's so fun too.


One of our main focuses this year in our garden was the pumpkins. Last year Will pulled out all our pumpkin starts a couple of days after they were planted, so we didn't have any, and buying all our pumpkins was very painful--only a handful of pumpkins for so much money! This year we did much better, and the boys loved watching them grow over the summer. When we picked all the pumpkins last week, it was a neighborhood effort. I cut them, all the kids carried (or rolled) them over to the grass to clean them off, and then we took them to the front porch. Every pumpkin looked like this one--I think we have a snail problem!

We love to decorate our front porch, and this is the final product.
Ben wanted to make sure I included this picture in the blog--it's the annoying tombstone that screams every time something moves close to it, but it's the boys favorite thing!


Our peach tree didn't do so well this year, and the fruit was gone weeks ago, so once again I had to buy my peaches this year, and dang, they really went up in price! I love the lemon alberta peaches from Brigham City, though, so it was worth it. Daren and I bottled these together this year.
And then there is the salsa...YUM! Daren and I made these this year while listening to General Conference, which was so good once again. Between our garden, Jeanna's, our neighbor, and Julie's, we got one batch of real good homegrown stuff. The rest of it had to be purchased, but was still very good. I started making this yummy salsa 13 years ago with my sister, who got the recipe from her friend, and I have passed it along to others who are willing to do the work to make it.

So, although it may not have all been from our garden (I agree, Lynette, you can't compete with John's garden!) it was another bountiful harvest this year. And a huge thanks to Daren--it was fun to do this together and you were a big help!! Now if I can just get my kitchen clean again...

7 comments:

Lynette M. said...

I really feel old when I can look at your canned good and think they are so beautiful! My mom used to hold up a jar of her peaches and just stare at them and their beauty and I just didn't get it. Now I truly think it is a beautiful work of art! Your shelves are gorgeous!

Alisha Joy said...

Wowsers! That's a lot of canning!! Love the pumpkins. What a fabulous harvest! We lost all our pumpkins. Morning sickness killed my weeding efforts and the pumpkins got devoured by the wild.

mvpeels said...

OK, we need to learn your secret to growing pumpkins - we tried last year and they didn't turn out...so, please share! They look great- your front porch looks great- we are envious of your canning skills, so we won't saying anything of your peaches and your salsa....but we are willing to be taste testers! :0)

Maryanne said...

Great job!! Oh, isn't that just a beautiful sight, all those bottles lined up in your pantry? What an accomplished feeling! We (or I shoud l say John) did another batch of your salsa yesterday (I was busy doing pesto). I think we have around 70 bottles of the salsa now. That SHOULD get us through until next year, but maybe not ;) It's SOOOOO good!!

I am jealous of your pumpkins. This is the first year in forever that I actually had to lay out money for pumpkins! See, John's garden wasn't all that perfect ;)

Grandpa and Grandma Peel said...

Can you hear your mother's heart sing...to see you have "added upon" what you learned at home, way back when? You two make a very good team. Love You!

Ba and Scott said...

Its good to read your posts and hear that Daren was helping out. It looks like you have a good supply of canned goods there and I bet it tastes so yummy. Claire just finished canning some of our fruit too and its nice to have around. Maybe we could trade a few jars.

Jennie said...

How fun! I love Utah falls ... as long as they last a little before the snow comes :) The pumpkin picking and Thanksgiving time with all the food is the greatest! It was so good seeing you yesterday for real life! I love the canning! I just got a bunch done a few weeks ago too! I might need your salsa recipe :)