Saturday, February 21, 2009

garbage man and a giant of a man

Jake has always been such a good helper in our family! This morning he was the first one to clean up his room, make his bed, vacuum his floor, and just for fun he helped me sort the laundry, which he called his "piles of garbage." I guess that makes him the garbage man! I guess I need to start checking pockets and pajamas of boys because recently we've had a hot pink crayon go through the wash and dryer full of jeans (nice!) and a pull-up go through the wash--what a mess!

**On another note, Larry H. Miller passed away yesterday, and although I don't personally know him, I know some of his family and I'm sure this has to be a hard time for them. What he has done for the state of Utah over the past 20+ years has been remarkable, and I just wanted to say to him and his family THANK YOU! Just after I turned 16 (1986) I went on a date to the Salt Palace to watch the Jazz play the Chicago Bulls and a very young Michael Jordan--this is the year Larry outright bought the Jazz and kept them here in Utah. I was there at the Delta Center with Daren for both Jazz playoff runs to the NBA finals agains the Bulls in '97 and '98, and we were there when MJ, who had been sick all day, took "the shot" over Brian Russell to beat the Jazz in what many of us thought should have been the Jazz's year to win. Plus, however many other games, concerts, special events, etc. have been held there. Without Larry Miller, the Jazz would have been gone, and none of these other things would have happened.


Larry has also built numerous other facilities around the state, but our favorites have to be his movie theaters. After traveling around the country last summer, I can say that there are no other theaters around anywhere like his. The reserved seating is the best thing to EVER happen to make your movie going experience so much better. I could go on and on about what we love about his theaters, but I won't, and if you've ever been there, you already know.

Last year the Salt Lake Tribute picked Larry H. Miller as the "2008 Utahn of the Year." He is a very generous man who will be greatly missed. I told Ben last night that Liberty's grandpa died, (Ben goes to school with and is good friends with her), and since then Ben has remembered to bless Liberty and her family "to be happy" in his prayers. Bless you Larry Miller and your family!

1 comment:

Grandpa and Grandma Peel said...

We are so, so sorry to hear about Larry H. Miller. We hadn't heard anything about him until reading your blog. How elderly was he? Was he sick or in an accident or what?
Tell Jake we're so happy to know he is so helpful around the house. Love you.