Monday, February 16, 2009

happy b-day!!!

Not only do I look forward to Daren's birthday each year to celebrate the coolest guy/husband/dad/friend, but also so I don't have to hear (for 6 weeks, to be exact) what a fogie I am because for that short time I am "2 years" older than him; although he wasn't too bad about it this year. It's a crazy time for a few days in February ("the month of the heroes" according to Daren) because of Valentines Day on the 14th, and what used to be Gpa Waterwheel's b-day on the 15th, and then Daren's b-day on the 16th. Whew!
Daren worked at the fire station on Valentine's Day and he's working today, so we celebrated Valentines on Wednesday by going out to dinner (crab fest at Market Street Grill--yum-o!) and to the Utah v. San Deigo State U. basketball game after (Utah won and is now in sole posession of 1st place in the conference). Then we celebrated his birthday yesterday with one of his favorite breakfasts, cheese blintzes, and later we had dinner at his parents house.
Now I have to say that when it comes to presents, I like to find something that has meaning and that is also pretty cool, but I have to say, in my humble opinion, that this one has to be up there with one of the coolest presents EVER!
I saw this map of Route 66 in a museum in Hesperia, California, while we were on our trip last summer. I was able to buy one of them and had my brother, Darren, frame it for me--it's beautiful, thanks D! To commemorate the 75th anniversary of the opening of Route 66, this guy, Ken Trumel, traveled all 2,448 miles getting postmarks and other stamps and signatures of significant meaning along the way (this was in 1995-96 that he made the journey). Then he made only 2,448 copies, one for each mile, never to be reprinted again-we have #1126. Some of the post offices have closed since then, so this really is a one-of-a-kind print. It's fun to look at it and remember some of the places we went, and it's great to have a beautiful reminder of such a fun trip!!
I love you heed!!! Happy Birthday!

3 comments:

Callisto said...

What a great map! And the picture at the top is really cute. Happy birthday, Daren!

Jennie said...

How fun!! Happy birthday to Daren! I can't believe u have no snow down there! We got socked in up here! It's fun as long as u don't have to go anywhere ;) have u attempted the treasure chest thing yet? It's been working good so far for Baylee ... I didn't take treats away cuz I have to have available goodies for me so that would be too hard but I think the toys and stuff are insentive enough! She's even been going to sunbeams to earn 2 smileys! I have let her earn 6 and then get to go to the movie too ... Some things don't fit in the treasure box. Let me know how urs is going! Oh and ur pics of the temple make me excited to go down! I'm taking my young women in march and Baylee has told me she has to come too! She's a young women she says! Hope u r doing good! Love ya!

Grandpa and Grandma Peel said...

Daren, are you "heed"? Where did that come from, if you don't mind telling. Anyway, we hope your birthday was wonderful--it seems you guys did plenty of celebrating. "Hero" month, very appropriate we'd say. Indeed, the Route 66 map is one of Heather's "coolest ever" presents--where did you hang it? Hope you've saved up some fireman and lawyer stories to tell us. See you soon, love you