Saturday, January 29, 2011

200 in carlsbad

Last weekend I was enjoying the sunshine and warmth of San Clemente/Carlsbad with a great group of friends, known affectionately around our house as "the running girls."  I took the lead on taking most of the pictures, but totally missed out on one day because we left to go running in the morning and didn't make it back to the house until sunset that evening.  Nevertheless, we had a great time, and I got to witness a very cool thing--our friend Deb ran her 200th marathon!  2-0-0 M-A-R-A-T-H-O-N-S!  I can't even begin to fathom what an amazing accomplishment that is.  The time.  The dedication.  Deb started 34 1/2 years ago in a pair of tube socks and a pair of Kangaroo shoes (I think) at the first St. George marathon, and is the only person to have ever run every single St. George marathon since.  There were only 38 people who ran the first SG marathon, including 4 women.  Since then, Deb has traveled all over to run marathons, she survived breast cancer, she is a retired first grade teacher (30 years!), and is an inspiration to everyone who knows her.  Here's a little video I put together of our weekend.  I hope this works!  Just click on the link just below this with the date.


Deb and Kelli ready to run the Carlsbad Marathon

"the running girls"--Terie, me, Jolee, Gerie, and Nan

1 comment:

Grandpa and Grandma Peel said...

Who has more fun than "the running girls"? Your blog/slideshow/video was fun to watch!